Title: New Weird Australia, Rural, Regional & Remote
Catalogue Number: NWA015
Released: January 2014
1. Generations – Time To Die (03:11) (previously unreleased)
2. Skipism – Monday At The Outpost (04:51) (previously unreleased)
3. Bassling – Having a Barney (02:44) (previously unreleased)
4. Host – Active Resistance (07:14) (from Active Resistance, self released)
5. Tralala Blip – Nowy (06:18) (previously unreleased)
6. Howling Cloud – Spirits of Sclerophyll (07:39) (previously unreleased)
7. Embers Lucent – Ediacara (05:49) (previously unreleased)
8. Basil’s Kite – Technicolour Fuckfest (02:38) (from Technicolour Fuckfest, self released)
9. Brad Harkan – Ellipsis (05:19) (previously unreleased)
10. Paul Fletcher – Returning To The Surface (07:00) (previously unreleased)
Compiled by Innez Tulloch.
Design by Thomas Roche – thomasroche.com.au
Rural, Regional & Remote, the second New Weird Australia compilation release of 2013, exhibits the sounds of Australia outside the metropolitan and into the ‘other’. The ten tracks explore and expose the diversity of Australian experimental composers from regional areas. From jutted, hyper jazz to soothing swirls mixed into the dynamism of traditional didgeridoo, the listener is treated to an aural sojourn.
The result of a call out by New Weird Australia in mid 2013, Rural, Regional & Remote highlights the diverse sounds from the outback, rainforest, desert and in between
Rural, Regional & Remote exposes the vastness and strangeness of the outer Australian sounds. An auditory exploration traversing from Mount Gambier to Wagga Wagga, the compilation transforms almost as quickly as the Australian landscape. From Time to Die by Generations, a glitched out hip hop, garage crossover; to Howling Cloud’s Spirt of the Sclerophyll, a soft, psychedelic mantra to the natural history of the land; to the abrasive, metallic distortion of Host’s Active Resistance; Rural, Regional & Remote offers insight into the array of sounds created from the outer Australia.