NEW WEIRD AUSTRALIA presents
UNPOPULAR MUSIC 2010
CLEPTOCLECTICS VS SCISSOR LOCK
FRIDAY 3RD DECEMBER 2010
The Red Rattler Theatre, 6 Faversham St, Marrickville, Sydney
On Friday 3rd December 2010, New Weird Australia presented the second annual Unpopular Music event at Sydney’s Red Rattler, a benefit for the not-for-profit community station, FBi Radio. Since July 2009, FBi has supported the New Weird Australia project by broadcasting its two-hour show every week. Via this platform, New Weird Australia has given exposure to over 400 innovative and experimental artists from around the country, and Unpopular Music represents the chance to give something back. All of the artists donated their time for the gig, with all proceeds going directly to FBi, helping to ensure the ongoing survival of Sydney’s home of new music.
The six-act line-up was headlined by Scattered Order, one of the most unique players in the history of Sydney’s experimental and electronic music scene – founders of the M Squared record label in 1970s, a home for artists such as Systematics and Makers of the Dead Travel Fast, and a beacon for emerging underground artists around the country. Reforming their original line-up in 2009, Scattered Order played ‘Unpopular Music’ in support of their new album, ‘Adjust The Terminology’.
The bill also included:
- Tantrums – four-piece midi-evil disco outfit from Melbourne, whose debut release ‘Anomie’ was released via New Weird Australia’s label imprint, New Editions
- Thomas William vs Scissor Lock – two of Sydney’s best known experimental electronic producers went head-to-head for the first time at Unpopular Music
- Melodie Nelson – Moonmilk’s Lia Tsamoglou in warped, alt.pop mode
- Stitched Vision – solo synth / noise / drone project from Newcastle’s Jason Campbell, founder of cassette-label Eternal Solitude
- Mere Women – dark, minimalistic pop & post punk from recently formed Sydney trio, who previous projects include Ohana, Little A, The Thaw & Bare Arms
From the New Weird Australia Compilation Series : Unpopular Music 2010
1. Thomas William vs Scissor Lock – Untitled (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 22:25
2. Melodie Nelson – Meditations On The Sun (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 04:28
3. Stitched Vision – Untitled (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 20:27
4. Mere Women – Sun Rising (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 03:31
5. Scattered Order – Eat At Joes vs Why (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 05:49
6. TANTRUMS – Ships (Live at Unpopular Music 2010) 06:04
From the New Weird Australia / Free Music Archive Live Recording Series : Stitched Vision: Live at The Red Rattler 2010
Event Photos: Slideshow
Photos by Paul Threthni.